31 December 2011

Opinion: My Top Ten Books of 2011

I’m not going to tell you how many books I’ve actually read this year (not that I keep count…), but there is a strong possibility that I have spent time reading that could have been spent much more profitably trying to get paid work, doing housework… or not.

Of the books I have read, some were by authors that I have been following for years, but many (particularly since I started this blog) have been by authors I have not read before.  Most were very good, some were mediocre, a couple were really bad and one I simply could not finish (which is very unusual for me, and I will be reviewing that book early in 2012 just in case any of you were thinking of buying or reading it).  A small number were truly excellent, so I thought I would share my Top Ten Christian Reads of 2011.

So, in no particular order, these are my favourite books published during the calendar year of 2011:

Best Forgotten by Paula Vince (romantic suspense)
Lonestar Angel by Colleen Coble (romantic suspense)
Nick of Time-by by Tim Downs (thriller)
Nightingale by Susan May Warren (historical romance – review coming)
Protection for Hire by Camy Tang (thriller)
Shadows on the Sand by Gayle Roper (romantic suspense)
Smitten by Colleen Coble, Diann Hunt, Kristin Billerbeck and Denise Hunter (novella collection)
Southern Fried Sushi by Jennifer Rogers Spinola (debut novel - contemporary)
Ten Plagues by Mary Nealy (romantic suspense)
Turnabout's Fair Play by Kaye Dacus (contemporary romance)

No prizes for guessing my preferred genre! I haven’t included any non-fiction on the list for the simple reason that I haven’t read enough to make a judgement.  Have you read any good Christian non-fiction titles this year? What is your favourite book of 2011?

Leave a comment and tell us.

2 comments:

  1. Yearly book list, of course, are mostly new books.
    It would be a great idea to pass around C.S. Lewis' rule for reading in this new year: "...after reading a new book, never allow yourself another new one till you have read an old one...keep the clean sea breeze of the centuries blowing through our minds..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right! If anyone is looking for recommendations for 'old' books to read, then I would recommend starting with Book Lover's Guide to Great Reading by Terry W. Glaspey, which includes classic fiction and non-fiction from both Christian and secular writers.

    ReplyDelete