12 October 2012

Review: Nowhere to Run by Amy Wallace


After her fiance, Patrick James, is attacked by a stalker, police officer Ashley Waters agrees to go into hiding in the small Amish town of Shipshewana, along with her friend, Margo, and dog, Chester. But there is danger on the way, and the stalker might have followed them…
I found Nowhere to Run slow to get going and difficult to get in to. It assumed that not only has the reader read Hiding in Plain Sight (the first book in the Place of Refuge series), but that I've read it recently and remember what happened.

Uh, no. I've probably read close to one hundred books since, and Hiding in Plain Sight was good, but it just wasn't that memorable (I would qualify that statement by saying that being memorable isn't always a good thing. I remember the best books I've read, but I'm equally likely to remember the worst).

Halfway through Nowhere to Run, I’d finally worked out who was who, but I was still finding it really hard to get interested in what was happening. Yes, Ashley’s in Shipshewana. The stalker has attacked her boyfriend. She reconnects with some characters from the first book. The stalker is after her…. then I did something I almost never do: I stopped reading.

I stopped at the 75% mark, right in the middle of all the ‘will-they, won’t-they’ suspense. Because I don’t know whether it’s the book or whether it’s me, but it just failed to grab my attention, to the point that I actually don’t care what happens to any of the characters. The writing was good, but not good enough to make up for characters I had no interest in. Sorry, but I really can’t recommend this one.

Thanks to Harvest House and Netgalley for providing a free ebook for review. You can find out more about Amy Wallace at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment