21 November 2012

Review: 'Til Grits Us Do Part by Jennifer Rogers Spinola

'Til Grits Do Us Part is the final book in Jennifer Rogers Spinola’s debut Southern Fried Sushi series. Becky and Tim are still making fun of Shiloh's culinary tastes (I've never eaten grits, but where I come from, grit is dirt, so I don't think I'd want to. I do, however, love sushi).

Shiloh has a wedding to plan, a car in dire need of repair, no money and a fiancé who hasn't even kissed her yet, (just in case doesn't have enough problems already) she also appears to have a stalker who sends her red roses with creepy notes. The stalker then goes one step further, and starts leaving threatening messages for her friends.

I really enjoyed the passages where Shiloh was reminiscing about her time in Japan. Even though I've never been there, I could understand her feelings. After all, at some point or another, we all have to say goodbye to someone or something we love, often before we're actually ready.

However, I have to say that I found several of the characters, especially Becky, rather annoying. This is probably because the focus of 'Til Grits Do Us Part was more on the mystery and less on the development of the characters and their relationships. The pace felt much faster than in the previous books, and the number of characters and subplots made it harder to follow. For this reason, while the novel was enjoyable enough, I think it was the weakest of the trilogy.

Thanks to Barbour Publishing and NetGalley for providing a free ebook for review. You can find out more about Jennifer Rogers Spinola at her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment