28 April 2014

Author Interview: Lynne Stringer

Today I'd like to welcome Australian author Lynne Stringer to Iola's Christian Reads, to tell us about the launch of her new book, The Reign, the final book in the Verindon trilogy.

First, please you tell us a little about yourself. Where are you from?

I'm Lynne Stringer and I live in Australia with my husband and young son. I've lived here since I was two, having been born in London, England.

Which of your books is your personal favourite, and why?

My favourite of the three books in the Verindon trilogy would have to be The Reign (the last book in the series). I liked it because I was satisfied with the resolution I gave my characters and I enjoyed the way some of the plotlines were concluded, particularly when it came to one dilemma for Sarah's character. Resolving that was fun.

What was the last book you read? Would you recommend it? Why/why not?

The last book I read was Into the Whirlwind by Elizabeth Camden. While not my favourite of hers I still found it enjoyable. It was set during the Chicago fire of 1871, which provided a colourful backdrop for her characters.

Tell us about your latest book, The Reign. Who will enjoy it?

I think anyone who likes escapist literature will enjoy it. While my trilogy is science fiction, I've had a number of people who aren't science fiction fans read them and enjoy them. I think the stories cross over enough that fans of other genres can enjoy them. Also, if you like a bit of romance, there's some of that too, as well as the young adult angle, and we all know that young adult books are the best books!

What was your favourite scene in the book? What scene was the hardest to write? (Assuming you can answer that without giving any spoilers).

I'll answer that by giving my favourite chapter, which was chapter six. I can't tell you any of the details about it, but please don't skip forward to read it ahead of the five chapters before it! I think it will be clear why I like it when you get to it. The hardest part to write was a scene at the end where a character I love passes away. Those scenes are always the hardest because I love my characters.

All three Verindon books are written in first person, from Sarah’s point of view, which means you can’t show us what other characters (e.g. Keridan and Ardon) are thinking. Did you ever consider using third person, or introducing alternative points of view?

I think Sarah's point of view has proved best because it allows me to keep the audience in suspense a bit, as there's so much that Sarah doesn't know about. However, that means that sometimes a lot is left out, especially in the first book. I have written the story of The Heir from Keridan's point of view. It helped me when I was writing to know what was happening to him. I will be posting some scenes from his point of view both on my website and at Goodreads. If you have read The Heir and there is a particular scene you'd like from his point of view contact me and I will post it.

The Reign is the final book in the Verindon trilogy. Is that the last we will see of Sarah and her friends?

At this stage I think it is, unless there's so much interest in Keridan's side of the story that we decide to publish that too!

What are you working on at the moment? What other books do you plan to write?

I have been working on a new YA fantasy book called More than Survival. It's got more in common with books like Lord of the Rings and things of that ilk than it has sci-fi. It's a work in progess, though, and I don't know how long it will be before it's ready to go.

To purchase any of the Verindon trilogy visit www.verindon.com

Thanks for sharing, Lynne!

My review of The Reign will post tomorrow. Meanwhile, if you're interested in learning more about Lynne and the Verindon books, you can read my reviews of The Crown and The Crown, and our earlier interviews:

Review and Interview: The Heir
Review and Interview: The Crown

2 comments:

  1. Hi Iola and Lynne,
    Thanks for the interesting interview. It's got me thinking about the choice of the best character to put forward their POV in a particular part of a story, which is always a good topic to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of adult readers don't like first person POV, but I don't mind - and many YA novels are written in first person, so I guess teens don't mind it!

      Delete