21 October 2016

Friday Fifteen: Kelley Rose Waller

Today I'd like to introduce author Kelley Rose Waller. I recently reviewed her debut novel over at Suspense Sisters Reviews (click here to read my review), and was impressed and a little frightened by her vision of a future dystopian USA.

Welcome, Kelley!

1. Everything by Francine Rivers

Francine Rivers is the master. Everything she's written would be on my list. And the Shofar Blew would rank as my personal #1. But I could never discount The Scarlet Thread, Redeeming Love, The Atonement Child, The Mark of the Lion series, The Lineage of Grace series, and all the rest. Moving, captivating, romantic, inspired.

I have to agree!

2. Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling

I don't know how anyone could read this series and not list it among their favorites. It's the most riveting series I've ever read, hands-down. I am personal friends with all of the characters because they are 100% real.

You'd get on well with my teenage daughter ... who is currently watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

3. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

This masterpiece is revolutionary. Dagny Taggart is completely brilliant.


4. On Writing by Stephen King

Aside from being slightly pretentious about how much all aspiring authors must read and write (the rest of us still have full-time jobs and families, Mr. King!), this is a must-read for anyone who wants to write. Also, it's heart-warming and hilarious.

Yes, but I did find his quotes from his own work scary enough that I don't actually want to read the full novels!

5. Everything by Sandra Boynton

I'm a mother of three young boys, and some children's books make me cringe. But Sandra Boynton is hilarious, fresh, rhythmic, and charming. Each one of her stories is a national treasure. I have The Going To Bed Book and Barnyard Dance memorized and recite them when my kids are ancy.

6. The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins

This series is fabulous, the characters are great, and the world is incredibly rich and immersive. Katniss is one of the inspirations behind Brenna, the protagonist in my novel The Senator's Youngest Daughter.

7. Invasion of Privacy by Christopher Reich

A crime/political thriller with a strong, female protagonist who's stronger and more capable than she thinks. Mary Grant's journey also contributed to my character Brenna.

8. Masquerade by Gayle Lynds

A groundbreaking work that's still hugely relevant. The worldwide scope is enormous. Lots of twists!

9. The Jesus Storybook Bible by Sally Lloyd-Jones

You can't read this book without getting misty, and if you're reading it to your children, you'll probably cry. Stunning. Unlike anything I've ever read.

One of my favourites as well. 

10. The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King

This was a unique read, and it makes my list for the simple, beautiful fact that Ms. King makes something new and awesome from something old and awesome. (Here, a young woman apprentices with an aging Sherlock Holmes.)

11. The Chronicles of Narnia series by C. S. Lewis

Amazing and inspired. My personal favorite is The Magician's Nephew, watching Aslan speak Narnia into existence.

12. Everything by Janette Oke and Gilbert Morris

If my church library kept the old 3 x 5 cards from their book pockets, there would be a shoebox full of cards from Janette Oke and Gilbert Morris books with my junior-high handwritten name on every other line.

Pretty sure this one is cheating ... but I can't disagree with you.

13. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

This is my only non-fiction choice. I often find non-fiction books to be preachy, but this one invited me in and let me choose to change my own perspective.

If you enjoyed this, you need to read Made Well by Jenny Simmons. 

14. The Pioneer Woman Cooks by Ree Drummond

Don't laugh that a cookbook is on my list! Ree knows how to tell a story. She shares very short but transformational glimpses into her farm and country life that connected with me as a wife and mother. As an added bonus, the recipes are oh-so-delicious.

15. Myst series by David Wingrove with Rand and Robyn Miller

I am a proud nerd, and this is a book series based on a video game. Frankly, the game was awesome and so is the series. Compelling and epic. This concept particularly connects with me as an author, because the concept is a race of beings who can write entire worlds into existence and then travel into their books.

This sounds fascinating! Thanks for visiting, Kelly. 

About Kelley Rose Waller

Kelley writes fiction to imagine new life experiences. Her debut novel, The Senator's Youngest Daughter, was released on October 1, 2016. This conservative political thriller pits a young woman and her family against a media tycoon backed by the president of a very different United States.

Kelley's day job as a marketing strategist offers her the opportunity to write and plan for clients in diverse fields. Kelley and her husband are Pennsylvania foster parents. Kelley lives and writes to uplift and glorify the name of Jesus Christ.

Kelley is a ridiculous fan of science fiction and board games. She has a B.A. in English and lives in Lancaster, PA, with her husband, three sons, and their dog.


No comments:

Post a Comment